Highway resurfacing in Morganstown
**Update 08/10/2021** – This work has been rescheduled by Cardiff Council for the third time and is now due to start on Wednesday 13 October.
Some residents of Morganstown will be receiving notification letters from Cardiff Council regarding upcoming works to apply a “Micro Asphalt Surface Treatment” to the highway in some streets in this area.
The work is currently scheduled to take 2 days (0800 – 1800) from Thursday 30 September 2021 although the exact dates will be displayed on site 3 days before commencement of works. Scheduled works can also be affected by weather conditions.
The roads affected include:
- Heol Syr Lewis
- Garth Close
This means that on Thursday and Friday access to the car park of Morganstown Village Hall may be affected by these works.
According to the Council webpage on Highway improvements:
What is happening?
Why is this being done?
- It will seal the surface and restore skid resistance.
- It will keep the road surface in good condition and considerably extended the life of the road.
- It is fast and efficient and will minimise inconvenience to the public.
- It is sustainable as no material is removed from the road.
- Research shows that it is a very cost-effective treatment when applied at the correct time.
What does the work involve?
- Signs will be erected by the contractor advising of the treatment date.
- The road is swept clean.
- Manholes, kerbs and drainage gully’s etc. are covered with protective tape.
- The road is closed to traffic, although access will be maintained to residents where possible.
- The micro asphalt is applied; this may be in one or two coats depending on the roads existing condition.
- A one hour “setting” time is allowed.
- The road is reopened to traffic.
- The road is swept to remove any loose stone.
- Where required, within one week manholes will be adjusted to suit new levels.
- Within one week the white lines are re-laid.
- In two weeks the road will be re-swept to remove any loose stones.
How long will it take?
What should I do?
- Please do not allow your children or pets to play around the machines or on the newly laid surface for 2 hours after completion
- Before entering your home or getting into your car ensure all shoes are free from bitumen or stones.
- Please observe No Parking restrictions.
We apologise for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your co-operation in helping us carry out the necessary work.